'7-Zip' - a totally free file archiver with highest compression ratio - far better than WinZip
ZIP tools were really a great innovation within the last 10 years. They are able to compress text by factor 10 and most EXE files by about factor 2. The most often used tool is definetely Winzip. But, as it is shareware (and not too cheap for everybody in your company), you can find a very useful freeware with similar features as well:
7Zip which can be free downloaded and used (real freeware!) at the following place: (below 1MB !)
Download from "7-zip.org"
7Zip has the following great features:
Imagine, that it is one of the few tools only, that can even work with RAR files in opposite to Winzip.
- Highest compression ratio because of new 7z format (30%-70% smaller archives than ZIP files)
- 7-Zip is free software distributed under the GNU LGPL
- Supported formats: 7z, ZIP, CAB, RAR, ARJ, GZIP, BZIP2, TAR, CPIO, RPM and DEB
- For ZIP and GZIP formats 7-Zip provides compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Powerful File Manager
- Powerful command line version
- Plugin for FAR Manager
- Localizations for 41 languages
- 7-Zip works in Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP
Winrar - the famous tool for the rar files - would be charged again ...
As 7-Zip is a Source Forge Project you can benefit with a forum, bug reports and feature requests at 7-Zip's Source Forge Page.
As example for the compression ratio we compared the following:
"The GIMP 1.2.4 for Windows after full installation"
(127 subfolders, 1304 files totaling 27,128,826 bytes)
|7-Zip (7z format)
|7-Zip (zip format)
So, have really fun with this nice, tiny, free & very useful tool 7-Zip!
Usually 7-Zip compresses to 7z format 30-70% better than to zip format.
And 7-Zip compresses to zip format 2-10% better than other zip compatible programs.
As SAP customer, you will know CAR (car.exe) or SAPCAR (sapcar.exe) as well. These tools are similar and are having the same compression ratio. They are used for all SAP patches and deliveries, because this tool is available on any from SAP supported platform. It uses an Unix similar syntax as e.g. "sapcar -xvf file.sar" for decompressing the files. If you are having CAR or SAR files to decompress, you have to use this tool, as Winzip, Winrar, 7-Zip, Easyzip 2000 and so on are NOT compatible with these files. Up to 4.6B SAP used CAR.EXE. This tool can compress ("car -cvf file.car ...") and decompress CAR files. As of 4.6C this tool was enhanced and then renamed to SAPCAR.EXE. This tool can still work wtih CAR files, but is able to work with the newer SAR files as well. So, you may want to download SAPCAR instead of CAR.
You can download the latest version of the CAR or SAPCAR in the SAP Service Marketplace. As the binaries are different for each platform, you should have a look at the following link:
Download CAR or SAPCAR in the Kernel Patch directories
Or Have a Look to the Freeware FilZip
- Full support (add and extract) support for ZIP (including Quake III's PK3), BH (BlakHole), CAB (Microsoft Cabinet), JAR (JavaARchive), LHA (LZH), TAR and GZIP(TAR.GZ)
- Extracting support for several other archive formats: ACE, ARC, ARJ, RAR, ZOO
- Support for internet encoded files .UUE and .XXE
- Write ZIP file span (predifined size or user defined, no limits!)
If you should have ideas for other such useful tools, please just let us know at the feedback area.